Monday, June 9, 2008

Being a doctoral student at IUP

In summer 2005, I moved from Missouri where I earned my Masters in TESOL from Central Missouri State University, which the name is changed to University of Central Missouri located in Warrensburgh.  Moving from Midwest to East coast was exciting to me, as I had never visited Pennsylvania.  My first impression of the state was the green of trees and lots of valleys. The geography is different from Midwest, which is flat, and I like Pennsylvania more.

My first course for doctoral program in summer was quite thrilling as being a student in a doctoral program was not easy for me.  I remembered that I took class with summer students who were most native speaking of English, except my Thai friend and me.  Most of them had long teaching experiences in university level, even in American University that make me quite nervous.  The course of Language and Social context instructed by Dr. Bell was my first research course. I had lots of readings and assignments. I learned doing research within a month including interviewing participants and a 20 page paper.  I also wrote a book review of Shirley Brice Heath  "Way With Words".  Everything came altogether within one month and I felt exhausted.

Now, I have finished 36 credits of my course work. Thanks god! However, I have a dissertation in my hands to finish.  I feel less tense than the first I started my program including the Qualifying Paper process. 

I feel thankful for all my knowledgeable professors here at IUP who kindly guide and instruct me.  I have learned to be more critical on my papers and more professional in the field.

Currently, I have devoted my time to my dissertation and hope to accomplish my mission soon.  

1 comment:

Ajarn Kai said...

Well, it's great that you ran into "Mind your language" series. They had done the same thing to me as they did you. I enjoyed the characters and their unique languages even more when I watched the series years afterward! I hope you are plugging along fine with your dissertation. You are on the right track! The success is not that far-fetched. Keep up the good work!